Friday, May 17, 2013

Pre-travel thoughts


I imagine Thailand like Costa Rica –coasts rich in biodiversity, both on shore and off.  Lush, dense greenery with active mammal life.  Slow-moving and laid back people sipping cool drinks and partaking of the local seafood, with a tropical fruit twist.  Rundown machinery, from boats to street lamps, corroded by time and salt spray.  Probably a few sprinkled-in politically radicalized white, American ex-pats slinking by with few resources.

I caught myself in this imagery realizing that I also have no idea what Thailand will be like.  I’ve never been to a place where I didn’t remotely know the language or one of its linguistic cousins.  I’m apprehensive about going somewhere with clearly undeveloped communication skills.  I met someone a few weeks ago who said, though that communicating without spoken language can present a deeper, more human connection.  I’m not sure what she meant, but I’m excited to figure it out.  Excited and a little anxious – but that’s how it goes.

Some things I want to do in India:
  • Take a train ride.
  • Beaches?
  • See wildlife
  • Meet some people – Startup stay? Couch surfing?
  • Meet up with a friend in Mumbai/Pune
  • English tea
  • Taj Mahal
  • Eat: a mango, mango lassi, chai masala, a fruit I've never heard of

I'll let you know how it goes!  T minus 38 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.