Tuesday, October 30, 2012

GCE2012: Best Chai Yet

CHAI NUMBER ?? (10/30/12)

I've been modifying the last recipe since the 5th of October and I think I realized what was missing: creaminess.  So this time, instead of just milk, I added a little bit of coconut milk and some heavy whipping cream.  The spiciness is there, it's sweet but not overwhelmingly, and it's creamy.  Folks, we have a winner.  Something I've memorized and would be happy to serve any guests.

Ingredients:

  • 4 whole cloves 
  • 6 cardamom pods 
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cups water 
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1 1/2 cup milk 
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar 
  • 2 teaspoons black tea (again, mine was infused w/ chocolate)

Instructions - Mix spices and water, bring to a boil, then let sit 5-10 minutes.  Add in milks and sugar, bring very close to a boil, stirring a lot.  Add tea and steep to your preference (3-7 min).

Discussion:

  • Ari: I think this turned out really good - creamy, spicy (but could be a little spicier).  Satisfying.  I'd rate it a 4.7 or 4.8.
  • Luke is harder to convince.  He said around 4.3 because he can't taste the spices as much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.