Monday, June 15, 2009

Permaculture


Yesterday I went to a permaculture workshop. Permaculture is something I've been interested in for a while now.

Last week, I told a friend that I was going to this workshop and he asked, "What is permaculture?" My answer was, "Well I don't really know; that's why I'm going!" All I know is that most everything I've heard about it makes me like it, and makes me want to learn more.

The teacher yesterday (Sam) defined it as "ecological design science." Basically, it's a collection of principles for how to do lower-impact agricultural activity. Drawing on local resources, taking a lot of time to observe and plan, considering the entire ecosystem, and working as (our interpretations of) nature would are some of the foundations.

Sam said that for the first few years he was learning about it, he was unable to come up with an intelligible definition. So now I don't feel too bad about not knowing, and I've taken another step to learn more.

More info, of course, at Wikipedia, here and here. The picture is from the cover of the permaculture bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.