Thursday, February 5, 2009

Beginner's Knitting Lessons

So it's the middle of winter and I'm bored so I decided to re-learn knitting. The possibilities are really endless and, contrary to cultural belief, knitting is not just for old women. Young women, men, basically anyone can knit if they choose to set their minds and hands to it. So, here are my tips for beginners, problems that I've run into in the past week, problems I write also so I don't run into them again!
  • First, here's an awesome, huge database of free knitting patterns (beginner-advanced): http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php
  • Second, when switching from knitting to purling, you must switch the feed yarn from (in this case) back to front. The reverse is true also. If you don't, you'll screw up and have to start over. Or if you're really smart you'll figure out how to fix it...
  • Third, do not knit Mobius strips. If you knit on a circular needle, apparently this is a threat, and you must watch out for it. I did not know of this, figuring that that was a made up thing, but it happened and now I have to start over, half-way done with a project.
Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.